Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Random Thoughts Pt. 2...


I'm not sure why I'm doing this again, but I thought I would offer some more random thoughts. I didn't received any feedback regarding small towns, so maybe if I mention some thoughts on leadership, I'll get A response. =0) By the way, the picture has nothing to do with the blog. I just thought my back yard looked scenic this morning. You can't really see the snow falling, but it was beautiful!

Okay, back to some random thoughts about leadership:

1. There's four factors in keeping a vibrant relationship with God (I'm sure there's more, but these are my four). They would include reading His Word, praying, community with each other, and serving Him with each other.

2. When considering the different angles and voices we speak from. I think it is more important to speak from a voice of selflessness, than a voice that HAS to be heard.

3. I always have to keep in perspective that I impact the non-christians view of God.

4. Helping people experience God is just as important, if not more important, than the context of God.

5. This one is for the control freaks out there. The only thing we can control in a given situation is ourselves.

6. For us to build something that lasts, we always have to be willing to change what we build. We have the tendency to think something should last longer than it does.

7. There's three true statements about momentum: we have it, we're losing it, or we've lost it.

8. We have to train ourselves to be future thinkers. It's vital we don't always evaluate things through the lens of the past.

9. Relevance is being close to the issue at hand.

10. It doesn't take a leader to kill something that's failing; it DOES, however, take a leader to change and turn around something that is not working.

These are from a variety of lessons I have attained from other leaders, as well as some of my own.

I would be interested in push back and comments on these as well!

2 comments:

mckallagat said...

I know #5 was for me so thank you :) I also like the new layout!

Erik Scottberg said...

been thinking about change recently. i never want to change things just to change them, but i do want to constantly evaluate what we're doing so that we stay relevant. i'm not sure the statement "nobody likes change" is entirely accurate. given the right circumstances, people want change (i.e. when it's on their terms). so i suppose the role of the leader is to provide vision of a preferable future. to communicate not just what the change is, but why the change is vital and important and good.

i'm not sure if any of that makes sense, but it's late!

great thoughts.