Monday, December 22, 2008

The Merging of Two Generations...


Recently I was challenged by someone regarding the vast differences in the culture today as compared to 10-20 years ago. Today we tvo whatever we want to watch, then watch it at our convenience. I know this will date me, but I remember the days when we had a black and white TV and I was my dads remote control. Talk about crazy!?!

I honestly feel like it's a mantle that I carry. The mantle of bridging two generations that are nothing alike. It's impossible to understand each other because their lifestyles are COMPLETELY different. Let me mention just a few: CEO vs. Team styles of leadership, lecture vs. image driven presentations, and even overhead transparencies (which were advanced for their time) vs. multi-projector/screens. Come on now, today we are using high definition video camera compared to the 8mm films that no one could afford. How do we merge these two cultures?

It's in the picture...one exists because of the other. It's amazing to see the product that comes from the merging of generations. I wish young leaders would give more honor to those who have paved the way for them. Likewise, I wish some older leaders would be open and willing to try new methods. It speaks to the leadership principle that I mentioned a few blogs ago. If you want to build something that lasts, you have to be willing to change what you build. We can't expect something to last forever without allowing it to evolve.

What's the answer? I feel honored to have the opportunity to try and help the merging of two generations...

No comments: